Yar Swing Bridge
The Isle of Wight Council owns and maintains the Yar Swing Bridge and Yarmouth Harbour Commissioners’ staff operate the bridge.
Summer Bridge Operation
During the summer season (BST) boat owners are requested to co-operate by synchronising their bridge use around a published schedule of fixed opening times; this assists with road traffic management and avoids congestion.
Boat users must notify the Harbour Office a minimum of 30 minutes in advance on VHF Ch68, call sign ‘Yar Bridge‘, or telephone 01983 760321.
|Summer Opening Times|
|0800-0810, 0900-0910, 1000-1010|
|1200-1210, 1400-1410, 1600-1610|
|1730-1740, 1830-1840, 2000-2010|
Winter Bridge Operation
Winter operation (GMT) of the bridge is by arrangement with the Harbour Office during opening hours.
A minimum of 30 minutes notice is required. To request a bridge opening, please contact the Harbour Office on VHF Ch68, call sign ‘Yar Bridge’, or telephone 01983 760321.
How To Use The Yar Bridge
1. Call Yarmouth Harbour Office on VHF Ch68 call sign ‘Yar Bridge’ to book a passage.
2. Know the marine traffic signals. There is an audible warning device to remind boat owners of the need to comply with these signals:
RED for STOP
RED and GREEN together for STAND BY
GREEN for GO
3. Traffic flow: priority will be given to vessels proceeding with the tide but under certain circumstances this priority may be reversed at the discretion of the Bridge Operator. The Bridge Operator will state on VHF Ch68 which direction has priority.
4. The Bridge Operator has responsibility for the control of operations at all times. To prevent confusion, Bridge Operators have been instructed to ignore hand signals.
5. The punctuality of boat arrivals to a close but safe proximity to the bridge is essential to prevent road traffic congestion. Harbour staff have instructions not to hold the bridge open for late arrivals.
6. If you need to wait for a bridge opening, please contact harbour staff on VHF Ch68 who will guide you to an appropriate berth. Do not go alongside vessels berthed near the bridge.
7. Bridge requests and radio messages for bridge opening are handled on VHF Ch68, call sign ‘Yar Bridge’. Y
8. When the bridge opens the marine traffic signals will show RED for STOP. The marine traffic signals will change to RED and GREEN together for STAND BY, and then GREEN for GO.
9. If the emergency services need to cross the bridge whilst it is opening, the Bridge Operator will announce on Ch68: “The bridge needs to close for an emergency vehicle”. Listen for further instructions from the Bridge Operator.