Yarmouth Harbour HIstory
The Harbour had existed for several hundred years before it became a Trust Port in 1931. Yarmouth Harbour is run by a Board of Commissioners who are voluntary except for the Chief Executive/Harbour Master. Yarmouth Harbour Commissioners is a “not for profit” organisation, there are no shareholders, so all surplus or profit is reinvested into the business.
The Harbour has undergone a whole host of changes over the years including the move from a small fishing creek to a commercial port exporting sand for glass production and grain and the import of coal for the gas works, and thence to a passenger steamer pier and onwards to a car ferry terminal, and in more recent years a leisure port.
In 2006 the first walk ashore pontoons were introduced and in 2011, with Phase 1 of the Harbour Development plan, more walk ashore pontoons were installed to reflect customer demand and the fuel facility was moved to a floating pontoon near the Harbour entrance. Phase 4a of the Harbour Development which created more walk ashore pontoons, predominantly for RIBS and small craft at lunchtimes, is used also for overnight yachts and is in an area close to the RNLI lifeboat pen and adjacent to the emergency slipway.